THE CHOOSE YOUR OWN ADVENTURE VIRUS EPIDEMIC
SESSION E: FRIDAY 27 NOVEMBER 2.15PM – 3.00PM
Come and see what IRL Hub is all about with this sample workshop, targeted at Year 9/10 science students.
A new virus is spreading like wildfire across the world! Retrovirus Capillus Tabasco turns its victims’ hair bright pink overnight. No way? Rosè? Indeed.
This workshop is a choose your own epidemiological adventure: as a group you’ll be asked to make a series of decisions guiding the investigation and mitigation of this bizarre epidemic.
Along the way we engage students with a real(ish) life application of the scientific method in a public health context, exploring the interpretation of data, experimental design, and some ticklish ethical and resource allocation choices.
The Capillus Tabasco Game supports Victorian Curriculum outcomes:
- VCSSU114 (models and theories are refined over time)
- VCSIS135 (fieldwork and experimentation to collect reliable data, assess risk and address ethical issues)
- VCSIS137 (use a range of representations including graphs, models to record and summarise data)
- VCSIS138 (Analyse patterns and trends in data)
- VCSIS140 (Communicate scientific ideas and information, constructing evidence-based arguments)
IRL Hub is a collection of Melbourne intellectually curious, eclectically enthused, performers, writers and producers – a self-proclaimed bunch of big ol’ nerds – who began delivering workshop incursions to secondary schools over Zoom during Lockdown.
Despite lockdown easing, we believe that digital learning is here to stay. The uniquely interactive forum of the digital space means we can engage students more creatively in a wider range of curriculum areas than ever before. Plus, we can deliver to your class room without transport costs, additional permissions, space requirements or borrowing time from other lessons.
Come and check out this sample workshop, or join our mailing list to get informed as new workshops are added, all the time.